1. Help Centre
  2. Features and Tools

A guide to Optimised Creative

In this article we'll guide you through the process of creating an “Optimised Creative”.

An Optimised Creative is a single creative containing several variants. There are two ways an optimised creative can be set up. The first option is to allow Adnami to identify the best-performing variant based on the objective you set. Option 2 is to manually set weights for each creative. 

Regardless of the option you choose, there will only be one tag. This tag can be used to book directly in your DSP or ad server and then Adnami will handle the rest - easy!

Remember - to use the optimised creative, the campaign for each variant being tested must be uploaded as a creative.

Example: There are 3 Topscroll variants you want to test. You need to create 3 Topscroll creatives within the same campaign.

Read our Get Started with Adnami guide for more tips.

Watch the video below to see how to set up an optimised creative!

Getting started with an optimised creative

Step 1: Setting up an optimised creative

In the campaign with the creatives you want to optimise, click the 3 dots next to “New creative” then click “New Optimisation”:

Here, select the formats you want to optimise. In this example, we will select Topscroll.

Different formats cannot be mixed in the same optimisation. For example, It is not possible to mix Midscrolls and Topscrolls within the same optimisation. This is because different formats are executed on publisher sites via different ad unit sizes, making one tag impossible.

Next, add the creatives you want to include in the optimisation using the “+ Add” button.

The creatives uploaded will automatically get an even distribution of impressions. In the example of the video, each creative will get 50%.

Step 2: Deciding how and what to optimise for

As previously mentioned there are two options for setting up your optimised creative.

Option 1: Choose your metric

Choose a metric to optimise performance for using the “Optimisation Metric” selector.  There are a range of metrics that can be selected, including: 

  • Attention
  • Avg. Time in view
  • Avg. video view rate
  • Clicks
  • Engagements
  • Video completes
  • Viewability

Once a metric has been selected Adnami will automatically identify the best-performing variant based on the respective metric selected. 

Tip: learn how the metrics are defined here and get inspiration on how to use attention


Option 2: Manual distribution

In the drop-down, there is also an option for “manual distribution”. Instead of choosing a single metric to optimise for you can assign the weight (as a %) that each variant should have. 

This is similar to standard setups for a/b or split testing.

Step 3: Activate the tag

Once the variants have been set up, click “Activate and Complete”. On the following screen click the “Tags” button to get the DSP tag for your optimised creative. It works just like any other tag from Adnami.

Read our Get Started with Adnami guide.


Odds are you want to keep track of how your optimised creative performs and what variant is the best performing. 

To review the performance of each variant, navigate to the campaign and find the optimised creative. Look for the format types that start with “Distribution … …”, that is the optimised creative. Click it.

You will be able to see how each creative is performing (bottom of the page) as well as the total performance for the creative in the KPI boxes.

How does the optimisation work?

We believe in the right to privacy so the optimisation feature only evaluates performance data such as APM, CTR, Viewability, etc. No PII is used.

Scores are calculated every 30 minutes to decide what ad variant to show, but one variant can max get 90% of the impressions. The remaining 10% are reserved for testing the other variants and making sure that there is a constant inflow of data from all variants.

The math behind the scenes is based on the “Multi-armed bandit problem” (and solution). Read more about it here and here.

How to explain discrepancies between impressions and average attention

With Creative Optimisation, you get the best possible APM by always showcasing the best-performing creative at any time. Creative Optimisation does not mean using the creative that gets the best results on average but instead the creative that gets the best results at this specific moment. This means a creative might have the most impressions but not the highest average of APM.

The reason for this is that the creative likely had a day performing better than the other creatives. During that time, it generated a lot of impressions but on average it still performed less well than the other creatives.